Re: tlug: X Display

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999 shimpei@example.com wrote:

>    You(Stephen J. Turnbull) wrote:
>    > If you know that all the other users needing will be logged in on that
>    > machine (perhaps by telnet), and assume that all such users are
>    > trustworthy
>    >
>    > 			    xhost +local:
>    >
>    > allows you to permit all local connections.  This is convenient if you
>    > want to run a configuration utility as root, for example, while logged
>    > in as an ordinary user.
>    >
>    > I've never tried to authorize differentiating between local users; if
>    > that's what you need, sorry, I can't help.
>
>    Can't you do some clever trick with xauth to get around this? I've
>    completely forgotten everything there was to know about xauth since
>    ssh does X forwarding for you with less effort.

Extract the authorization info (in numeric format) and mail to the other
user (you may want a secure email connection, though )

xauth  nextract - $DISPLAY | mail friend@example.com

friend@example.com then saves the mail in say,  "secret", strips the header
and does

xauth nmerge secret

That should do it.

Selva

Or, if you have rsh access to the remote end, in one shot
`xauth extract - $DISPLAY | rsh remote_machine_name xauth merge -`

(from man xauth)

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 20:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January 14 (Fri) 19:00
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)