Re: tlug: Re: Aptiva 520

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Jonathan Q wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Tony Laszlo wrote:
>
> > Are there any benefits of using an APM kernel on a server
> > like this one?
>
> It probably doesn't have any APM features.  And even if it does, I
> wouldn't be inclined to use them on a server.  A server's first job is
> to be super stable and to be ready all the time.  Although APM is
> probably quite stable (I don't follow it closely, but I haven't heard
> any claims to the contrary), just as a precaution I wouldn't run it on a
> server.

Oh, I don't know, the Sun Ultra 5/10/30/60/etc servers that we use here
all do it.  But, then again, Solaris only has to deal with Sun's bios, not
a big fscking mess of 3rd party BS like the x86 world.. sigh.

It's nice having something like a Netra t1 105 with serial console,
though, so when your people at the remote server locations accidentally do
an 'init 5' because they think they're starting up X because runlevel 5 is
the xdm login level on their Redhat box at home... well, on Solaris,
runlevel 5 is 'halt and poweroff'.

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 20:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January 14 (Fri) 19:00
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)