Re: tlug: Re: Aptiva 520

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Tony Laszlo wrote:

> Are there any benefits of using an APM kernel on a server
> like this one?

It probably doesn't have any APM features.  And even if it does, I
wouldn't be inclined to use them on a server.  A server's first job is
to be super stable and to be ready all the time.  Although APM is
probably quite stable (I don't follow it closely, but I haven't heard
any claims to the contrary), just as a precaution I wouldn't run it on a
server.

In terms of wear and tear, the only moving parts in there other than
fans are the disks.  Powering them up and down with APM will probably
put more wear and tear on them than constant operation will.

The electricity saved would be negligble, too.  How negligible?  If you
aren't talking about a notebook that is frequently run on battery power,
it's not worth thinking about.

Jonatha

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 20:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January 14 (Fri) 19:00
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)