Re: tlug: dot forward & procmail

Stephen J. Turnbull (lists.tlug):
>I've never seen a bounce off of qmail[1], unless the user doesn't exist
>(I've never seen a "host-doesn't-exist" bounce off of qmail at all; I
>suspect qmail domains are usually well-run).

I meant as postmaster.

>Standing up for RFCs is a good thing, but trying to enforce them on
>others is a bad idea, unless the only person who loses mail (etc) is
>the sysadmin himself.

Again, none of my users have lost mail in this way. The idea that "if
you run qmail, people won't be able to email you" is, purely and simply,
untrue.

Would you consider the RBL to be a similarly bad idea because there's a
chance that some mail won't get through if you use it? In any case,
you're blaming the wrong people - people choose, whether through
actively or passively through laziness or ignorance, to run hosts that
don't conform to Internet standards. In the case of the RBL, the
relevant people get informed, and if they care that mail from their
users is not getting through, they fix it; other sysadmins I know who
implement more stringent methods find an email to the relevant admin
generally does the trick - the mail gets through in the end, and the
Internet gets tidied up a little. And you're telling me this is a bad
thing?

--
Goda's Truism:
	By the time you get to the point where you can make ends meet,