Re: tlug: Re: Aptiva 520

On Wed, Dec 08, 1999 at 11:59:28AM +0900, Tony Laszlo wrote:
> The soundcard (Windows says it is SB16/Awe32) has a 15 hole port
> on it with the words "joystick" and "midi" written next to it.
> Forgive my ignorance, but what kind of port might that be?

It is a Joystick (of the original IBM resistor and switch kind) and MIDI
(Musical Instrument Digital Interface, a 31.25Kbs asynchronous current loop
serial interface) port.  :-)

You can read about the joystick support in the
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/joystick*.txt files.  In a server environment,
you may find it an interesting way to get an extra digital input into the
machine from the outside world.

MIDI support can be enabled when you configure the sound support in the
kernel.

--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo   ICQ: 5981586

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 20:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January 14 (Fri) 19:00
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)