Re: tlug: Aptiva 520 - 486 DX4 100MHz

> On Sun, Nov 21, 1999 at 12:28:18PM +0900, Tony Laszlo wrote:
> > It is an IBM Aptiva 520 with a 486 DX CPU (100Mhz),
> > 540M hard disk

I got a 4.3G IDE hard disk in Akihabara - hard to find in the
20-40G jungle. I was quite afraid that this disk
wouldn't be recognized by the system and would have gone with
a 2G drive, but couldn't find one. Looks like both Win95 and
Linux can see the disk, however, fortunately. (some people told me I
would be safer with a 2G drive, others 4G, still others 8G -
not good for the heart).

Autoconfiguration tool for xfree86 didn't
guess my display settings. I have seen mention
that xwindows will run  with the following configuration:
"1024x768x8" (I think the person is a bsd afficionado,
however...x is x?).

I'm afraid that this is a bit cryptic
to me; I would appreciate it very much
if someone could give me an idea
of what needs to go where in xfconfig. Haven't
seen much useful information on the Net,
unfortunately.
Btw, can I damage the monitor if I
get xfconfig wrong?

dmesg says:
console: colour vga + 80x25
bios configuration says:
video controller is cl-gd5430
video memory 1024K
monitor frequency 56KHz

Window's system info reports that
the display is cirrus logic 5429/30/34
and gives the i/o coordinates (don't
need them for xfconfig, right?).

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 20:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January 14 (Fri) 19:00
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)