tlug: Slow Internet connection

  A friend in Wales who's been playing around with RedHat 6.0, has the
following complaint (Demon is his ISP):

>   I'm afraid the Linux - Demon connection is slow for webbrowsing. It's
> certainly not the fault of my computer, or of Demon, with which I almost
> always get reasonable speeds under Windows. It must be because of the
> way I set up my ppp0 connection (& then run Netscape), or something I
> put (or didn't put) in the kernel.

  This doesn't make any sense to me.  Can anyone offer some suggestions?

Dennis McMurchy,
Sointula, B.C. / Tojinmachi, Fukuoka
Canada           Japan

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 20:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January 14 (Fri) 19:00
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)