Re: tlug: Gnome virtual desktops

"Scott M. Stone" <sstone@example.com> wrote,
> On Sat, 4 Dec 1999, Dennis McMurchy wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:
> >
> > > Using Netscape with Java and Javascript turned on (which is
> > > the default of course :-/  just calls for trouble.  So
> > > switch it off.
> >
> >   Why on earth didn't I think of that?  Thanks for the tip. Done.
> >
> > > If your are using Enlightenment, upgrade to E 0.16, but
> > > anyway, E is in _deep_ beta - so, WindowMaker, as Scott
> > > suggests, is much more stable.
> >
> >   I didn't realize that Enlightenment was even a beta version.
> > Why is it installed as the standard manager with RH6.0 then?
> > Doesn't seem like a great choice, does it?

The quality level of OSS beta software is IMHO often
significantly better than what they will sell you as final
version of closed source software.  So, beta is not
necessarily bad.  (For example, Enlightenment is probably
more stable than Netscape which is already at version 4.x.)

The reason that RH chose it, is because Gnome chose it as
the standard window manager.  By know the decision is to
switch to a less heavy window manager as the standard window
manager for Gnome; but, no decision has been made about
which one it will be.  There are number of contenders -
check out www.gnome.org.

(It definitely seems as if implementing a window manager is
even more popular these days than implementing IRC bots.)

> no.... but then again, WindowMaker is still beta too,
> officially.

Sure, but WM is much more settled than E.  I am actually
wondering what they are waiting for before they call it 1.0
(maybe until they don't get a single bug report in a three
month preiod or so).  In fact, WM seems to be a quite
popular choice for a window manager for Gnome.

Manuel
Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January, 2000
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)