Re: tlug: Gnome virtual desktops

On Sat, 4 Dec 1999, Dennis McMurchy wrote:

>   I didn't realize that Enlightenment was even a beta version.

You'd be surprised at how much stuff we use all the time has a release
level  < 1, but it still works pretty good.  If you have a digital
camera, try out gphoto (http://www.gphoto.org/) sometime.  I think
you'll be quite impressed, and the current stable release is only 0.4.
0.5 is in the CVS tree for the adventurous (on my system, it segfaulted
why trying to get pictures from my camera).

> Is this repairable or am I looking at a new monitor?  And if so,
> what do you recommend - obviously another Eizo is out of the question.

It may be repairable, but the question is really not "Can it be done?"
but "Can it be done for less than the price of a new monitor that is
just as good?"  That's one that only your repair estimator can probably
really answer.

If it's not economically repairable, I wouldn't recommend writing off
Eizo just because that one failed.  Eizo are quite good.  Perfect?  No,
of course not.  There will always be some that fail, but what kind of
hardware can you name about which that isn't true?  I've never had an
IBM disk fail, but I know someday I will.  However, when that day
comes, I will not swear off of IBM and only buy some other brand of
disk after that.  You see this "I had one and it broke, so I'll never
buy that manufacturer again" thinking a lot, but it's not very
well-grounded in reality.  Now if you had 10 Eizo monitors and they all
did that . . .  :-)

I use an Eizo 17" at work and am quite happy with the display qaulity,
and Eizo seem to last as well as any other name brand monitor.  Compare
specs and actual in-the-store display quality on several brand-name
monitors in that meed your needs on size/price, and pick the best one.
If that happens to be an Eizo, don't necessarily write it off because
you had one that broke.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January, 2000
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)