Re: tlug: Li18nux-related meeting 11/30

    Scott> On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Alberto Tomita wrote:

    >> The Linux Internationalization Initiative (Li18nux) I18N System
    >> Architecture subgroup will have preparatory meeting in Tokyo on
    >> Nov 30, when they will set the directions for work.

    Scott> Is this really an i18n initiative or is it a j12n
    Scott> initiative? :) -- ie,what other languages/countries are
    Scott> represented here?

Developers and Japanese are represented.  They had a bitch of a time
getting a European co-chair and the U.S. co-chair is native Japanese.

It is probably a positive sign though.  Turbolinux is there and AFAIK
Laser5 is not.  ;-)  Seriously, now....

They are genuinely focussed on I18N.  They recognize that J12N is not
good for Japan.  But...

I attended one meeting of the Linux Research Society/National Language
Systems Section, which seems to be the core of the Li18nux Japan
chapter.  Most of the people there seemed to be corporate developers
waiting for Linux I18N to happen so they can take advantage of it.

There was a small core of I18N developers, but they have a strong
agenda.  The fact that the first major activity is to have a "system
architecture" subgroup is a bad sign on that front; they're pushing
certain corporate subsystems (Sun's IIIMF and IBM's Unicode library)
hard.  OTOH, Adrian Havill didn't seem to have objections to it, so
maybe it's sufficiently plausible to be a big step forward.

I don't know whether they're going to be able to get Uli Drepper to
sign off on it, and that's going to be important.  Cygnus Solutions is
part of it, I forget whether Red Hat was or not.

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January, 2000
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)