Re: tlug: XFree86 & Trident Cyber 9525

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:

> My wife bought a Sharp Moebius PJ2-X4 this week, which
> successfully converted to the right believe.  There remains,
> however, one problem with XFree86 3.3.5.  The machine
> contains the graphic chip "Trident Cyber 9525 DVD" (that's
> the graphics device ID reported by the X server), which is
> supported by XFree's SVGA X server.  By default the driver
> is not accelerated, but using the `accel' option in the
> `Device' section results in significantly faster graphics.
> Everything works well except suspend-to-disk suspends.  The
> suspend itself works, but after resuming the machine,
> graphics are hosted.  In particular, the background of
> windows and menus is transparent (ie, doesn't seem to be
> drawn).  This problem does _not_ occur when the X server is
> used in _unaccelerated_ mode.  So, I suspect that some of

Sounds to me like XFree86 wants you to read between the lines -- it SAYS
that the driver is unaccelerated, but what it MEANS is that acceleration
functions are there, but it destabilizes certain performance aspects and
therefore non-accelerated is the default unless you specifically go in
there and turn on 'accel' in your config file.  Caveat (latin word for
someone who f*cks with XF86Config manually) :)

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Systems (UNIX) and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January, 2000
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)