tlug: Gnome virtual desktops

</beginwhine>
  I'm am getting really sick and tired of this RH6/Gnome bullshit.
After several days earlier in the week of (renewed)
pseudo-"authentification failure" four-minute-long X startups complete
with 'forgetting' of the last launcher setting (I gave up after five
tries), I was pleased to see everything start up just the way it should
tonight (12 secs), until I discovered that I can no longer scroll
between desktops by just moving the mouse - I have to use the pager.  I
wouldn't mind so much if I could just find the bloody setting to put
things back the way they were.   I can't, of course, and I would
appreciate it very much if someone would point me in the right
direction.

  I hate to say it, but this is really beginning to remind me more
and more of the kind of idiotic and endless struggles that many of
us have had with a certain other elementary and experimental OS whose
name I will not mention.  It sure as hell was _never_ like this with
fvwm under Slackware!

  When I started using Lignux four years ago, I didn't have to put
up with Japanese support that doesn't quite work, with a browser
that just crashes on all sorts of pages, and a window manager (?) that
is about as flakey as you-know-what.  Where the hell are we going
with this?  I used to be proud to recommend Linux to people, but I
really can't anymore. Does anyone else have this same horrible feeling?

</endwhine>

  Just not to end a such a completely dismal note, let me mention
'Grip', a tool for ripping tracks off CDs and converting them to mp3
format that I downloaded the other day.  It installed effortlessly, and
works just beautifully.  It doesn't get any better than that.

Dennis McMurchy,
Sointula, B.C. / Tojinmachi, Fukuoka
Canada           Japan

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January, 2000
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)