Re: tlug: S.u.S.E 6.2 and mule

Jag <fredric.fredriksson@example.com> writes:

> I noticed that my emacs already had mule installed and that after
> the emacs command "setup-japanese-environment" I could do the
> "Romaji -> Hiragana -> Kanji&Kana" - stuff.  I felt very foolish but
> happy since it was the result I was after, not really the joy of
> finding out (which I happily leave to greater minds than mine ;->).

> It sure looks like them SuSE guys spent quite some time on the i18n
> parts of emacs and Linux. There are languages supported that I have
> never heard of.

I assume SuSE are just using the standard Emacs distribution: i.e. it
is the Emacs developers who have "spent quite some on the i18n" (and
m17n) of Emacs.

> The problem I have is that I have no idea how good this Japanese
> support really is.

Well it's pretty good, I can say, but in the end it depends what your
needs are.  From what you say it should be fine for you.

You might want to try XEmacs 21 too with mule support.  If you install
XEmacs/mule packages you will probably get the skk and edict packages
with it.  Then you just need to download the edict dictionary file
(from say <ftp://ftp.monash.edu.au/pub/nihongo/>) and set it up and
you'll have a simple E<->J lookup available inside XEmacs (Emacs) too.

> Emacs presents the input method as "Quail input method
> (name:japanese ..." and there are some package called SKK. The SKK
> package looks good to me, but then I have no way to know.

I use skk and I personally think it's the best IM available inside
Emacs and XEmacs.  It is not "intelligent", but probably faster since
it leaves more work to the user.  Quail is ok too and in fact it uses
the skk dictionary file.

> Does anybody know if these tools supplied by SuSE is good enough for
> a technical writer/translator? (low volume).

See above.  I think so.

Jens
Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January, 2000
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)