tlug: S.u.S.E 6,2 and mule

    Fredric> The problem I have is that I have no idea how good this
    Fredric> Japanese support really is.

    Fredric> Emacs presents the input method as "Quail input method
    Fredric> (name:japanese ..." and there are some package called
    Fredric> SKK. The SKK package looks good to me, but then I have no
    Fredric> way to know.

Quail is SKK on caffeine (not steroids).

    Fredric> Does anybody know if these tools supplied by SuSE is good
    Fredric> enough for a technical writer/translator? (low volume).

No, unless they're already accustomed to SKK/Quail.

You can try XIM (you need Canna, Wnn4, or Wnn6 as the dictionary
server and kinput2 as the input manager).  This is supposed to work
but not supported on Emacs 20.x AFAIK.

Or you can use XEmacs 21.1.x, which can handle Canna and Wnn natively,
SKK (but not Quail AFAIK), and XIM+kinput2+(preferred-dictionary-server).
Canna, Wnn4, Wnn6, and XIM support are all individual compile-time
options; SKK requires only MULE support (also a compile-time option).

XEmacs+Canna or Wnn is the easiest way to get decent Japanese support.
There are also a lot of (now basically unsupported) compiled Emacs
19.34b binaries with Mule+Canna+Wnn support about, and there are
probably unsupported Emacs 20 + Canna/Wnn binaries available, but I
don't know where you'd find them.

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January, 2000
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)