Re: tlug: no floppy installation

Thank you. I thought I'd killed the list with my stupid question
yesterday.

Before installing Mandrake I added some more memory. I had one empty
SIMM slot, and I inserted a 16M line into it (I have a Tyan AT
motherboard). BIOS recognized the memory and DIDN'T COMPLAIN!!! Last
night I had a closer look at the error messages preceding the kernel
panic, and I just removed those 16M. Guess what! It worked :-)

And, yes, I tested the memory, it was OK.

It was 'too much memory' problem...

___________________________________
Viktor Pavlenko \\\ IMRglobal Tokyo

    GE> I've got a motherboard with exactly the same problem - no
    GE> floppy.  It stops in the BIOS part of the boot every time with
    GE> "floppy disk fail" and I have to hit F1 I think for it to
    GE> continue.  Still, I installed Mandrake 6 on it off the CD ROM
    GE> no problem, so at least we know it is possible in some
    GE> situations.

    GE> Glenn

    GE> On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Viktor Pavlenko wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I tried to install Mandrake 6.0 on my desktop last night. The
    >> BIOS stopped recognizing floppy drive some time ago, but I
    >> thought it wouldn't be a problem. Seemingly I was
    >> wrong. Actually the installation goes smoothly, but when I'm
    >> booting the system for the first time the machine freezes (the
    >> last thing it shows on the screen is 'Making /mnt/disk
    >> [OK]'. When I disconnect the floppy drive from the motherboard,
    >> I get lots of weird error messages and end up with kernel
    >> panic.
    >>
    >> I know it sounds funny, and I know I have to get a new
    >> motherboard, but the question is: is it true that one can't
    >> install Linux on a machine without a working floppy drive?
    >>
    >> Regards, ___________________________________ Viktor Pavlenko
    >> \\\ IMRglobal Tokyo
    >> Next Technical Meeting: TBA, January, 2000.  Place: Temple
    >> Univ.  Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
    >> 03-3275-3691
    >> more info: http://www.tlug.gr.jp Sponsor: Global Online Japan
    GE> -- __________________________________________________
    GE> http://members.xoom.com/glennski glenn@example.com

    GE> "Rooting" for Linux...  Remove the "NoSpam" from above address
    GE> before using
    GE> for the day: Enzymes are things invented by biologists that
    GE> explain things which otherwise require harder thinking.  --
    GE> Jerome Lettvin

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January, 2000
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)