tlug: no floppy installation

Hi,

I tried to install Mandrake 6.0 on my desktop last night. The BIOS
stopped recognizing floppy drive some time ago, but I thought it
wouldn't be a problem. Seemingly I was wrong. Actually the
installation goes smoothly, but when I'm booting the system for the
first time the machine freezes (the last thing it shows on the screen
is 'Making /mnt/disk [OK]'. When I disconnect the floppy drive from
the motherboard, I get lots of weird error messages and end up with
kernel panic.

I know it sounds funny, and I know I have to get a new motherboard,
but the question is: is it true that one can't install Linux on a
machine without a working floppy drive?

Regards,
Viktor Pavlenko \\\ IMRglobal Tokyo
Next Technical Meeting: TBA, January, 2000.  Place: Temple Univ.
Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691