Re: tlug: Re: aptiva 520

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Tony Laszlo wrote:

> >     jb> Any one would work.  There's Vine Linux, TurboLinux, Red
> >     jb> Hat-J, Laser 5 Linux, Debian (don't know if this is localized
> >     jb> per se, or just J-enabled.  Steve?), and maybe some others
> >     jb> that don't spring to mind right off hand.
> >
> > Debian is easy enough to install Japanese stuff for, but there's no
> > "virtual" Japanese package you can select to have a turnkey Japanese
> > system.  You've used TL, Tony, unless you have specific reason to want
> > to do something different I'd say stay with it.  Just deselect all of
> > the "modern" GUI tools, KDE, GNOME, Enlightenment, and that ilk.
> >

> Thanks to all for the great advice.
> I am worried that the newer distributions
> won't run on a CPU that is below Pentium class.
> But I guess I'll just try it and see.

the only increased CPU requirements of the newer distros come from the
newer, fancier GUIs.  Take the GUI out of the equation and you still have
Linux, which will work fine on a 486.

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Systems (UNIX) and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Technical Meeting: TBA, January, 2000.  Place: Temple Univ.
Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691