Re: tlug: Boot Floppy

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999 gray_s@example.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for advice on getting a boot image from my Japanese RedHat 5.2 cd
> onto a floppy so I can install.
>
> -- snip 2 weeks of unprecedented frustration --
>
> I took the advice of someone on Undernet IRC #linux and used 'dd' to copy a boot
> image from the cd to a floppy.
> However, when I go to boot with the floppy, I get:
>
> vmlinuz.....Boot Fail
>
> Is something wrong with the vmlinuz image itself, or could it be related to
> something else?
> Bad floppy? (The first image loads ok, I forget the name... )

'boot fail' usually means a bad disk or something in that path (bad floppy
drive, cable, etc).  However, you'll need to rdev that boot disk to tell
it where your root partition is, or you'll get a 'kernel panic: unable to
mount root FS' error (but that's way beyond where you're currently
getting).  rdev for DOS is provided on the RH CD, or used to be.  If not,
it's on the TL CDs, or used to be :)

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Systems (UNIX) and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Technical Meeting: TBA, January, 2000.  Place: Temple Univ.
Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691