tlug: Aptiva 520 - 486 DX

All,

ISSHO (Tokyo-based non-profit) is about to
receive a badly needed donation of a computer.
It is an IBM Aptiva 520 with a 486 DX CPU (100Mhz),
540M hard disk and 32M of ram - I hear it really
zips along :) (I hope it has a CD-ROM; we'll see
when it arrives). The group will use it primarily as
a simple server that connects a couple of other
boxes to the Internet via PPP, to run some mail/netnews
related scripts and to store data (the last two points are
the more important).

I think the group is going to need more hard disk space
for this machine. I'm wondering if it would it be worth it
to replace the hard disk with a larger one (and perhaps
running a more recent distribution that needs close
to 1G) or better to install what can be installed on the present
HD and connect up a separate disk either internal or external?

Should I need to, can I easily find hard drives and CD-ROM
drives in Akihabara that will fit this machine (or are the
parts non-standard)?

I'm wondering what distribution of Linux (preferably Japanese
localized) could be installed and run well on that machine?
I have had one recommendation for RedHat 4.2 with PJE.

Does anyone have any success (or horror stories) of running
Linux on a similar machine?

Thanks!