Re: tlug: Distribution War!!!

>showing their preferences for this or that distribution is always running
>around so, I decided to start a declared distro war!!! I hope you

Good idea.

>I noticed that a lot of guys are really standing for Debian. I also read a
>couple of articles saying that their policy is to release just the very
>tested program and kernel and their reliability is very high. Also I read

I've been planning on using Debian, and have been following Debian Weekly
News for a while, which summarizes the mailing lists. I get the impression
that the Debian development team are a bunch of perfectionists, who would
rather ignore a deadline than compromise (a release with 2.2 kernel is now
scheduled for next year). It also seems like they waste a lot of time
having flame wars over petty details.

For a fairly minimum server install Debian is the best one it seems. Any
differing view points?

Can someone using Debian say just how unstable the unstable distribution
is? Compared with Red Hat, Caldera et al.

My experience has only been with RedHat. The problems I had were mostly
related to it's non-standardness. E.g. following how-to's for upgrading the
kernel and similar things never made any sense because Redhat have put
files in strange places.

Darren

Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691