Re: tlug: Caldera Japanese version

> Sigh.  "Finds `the' partition"?  It is a very very bad idea to have
> _one_ partition, unless one wants to lock oneself into a given
> vendor.  You really want /home and /usr/local on separate partitions
> for smooth transitions (it's not always possible to do a smooth
> upgrade even for a new version of the same distribution), and to avoid
> data loss /var and /tmp probably should be on different partitions
> (you could `ln -s /var/tmp /tmp' if you wanted though and just have one).

I'm embarrassed to admit this one, but as a newbie, trying with red hat, I
wound up crashing both my hard drives by accidentally deleting partitions.
My thought is simply that this might be a good first one for other people
of my level of incompetence.  (I don't know if there are any others on this
list, but I'm guessing that there must be a few.)
My hope is that after I get a better idea of what I'm doing, to go to one
of the slightly less user friendly versions, after I'm less intimidated by it.
Thank you for the advice--in a few months, hopefully, I'll have enough of a
grasp of linux to take it.  :)

> Turbolinux and Debian to my certain knowledge allow flexible
> partitioning using fdisk or cfdisk; Partition Magic is smarter about
> existing Windows95 partitions, though.

Well, that was my trouble with RedHat.  I simply don't know enough yet.
Give me a bit of time...
(famous last words)

overconfidentally,

Scott

> -
Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691