tlug: RedHat Session Mangler

  Finally managed to get sound set up under RedHat - don't
ask me how or why, but I will tell you that it took at least
twice as long as any previous sound setup I've done - PNP or
otherwise.  REdHaT continues to be a royal pain in the butt,
as far as I'm concerned.

  I used to play a little tune when X started up, by including
the line

 cat /home/denis/03.wav > /dev/dsp &

in my .xinitrc file in the good ol' days of Slackware and fvwm.  When I
specify the same line as one  of the programs I want Session Manager to
run on startup, it fails to play the .wav file, but will scribble
forever on the (non-X) virtual terminal that I started X from.

  Of course, just running that command from, say, xterm, works
perfectly well and produces the expected output, but I don't think
I will want to run this manually every time I start X, will I?

  Anyone have any inspiration about this?

Dennis McMurchy,
Sointula, B.C. / Tojinmachi, Fukuoka
Canada           Japan

Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691