Re: tlug: Patching the RH6.0 kernel

Hi,

>Seems like what you're trying to do is have the best of both worlds;
>to have the RedHat packaged-up-and-(hahaha)-fixed version of the kernel
>source, but also be able to patch it yourself too.
*laugh* Redhat's kernel's are messed, although I suppose only implementing
the changes they like might be good for stability.

>You either want to get a copy of the clean source, which is called
>linux-2.2.5.tar.(gz|bz2) available from your local friendly kernel
>mirror, or wait until RedHat release an update.
It seems that he was trying to get the latest and greatest, so why not go
for 2.2.13 (try ftp.jp.kernel.org) and then patch it with stuff thay you
like such as SGI kernel debugger, devfs, riserfs(Linux can now Journal
yippie...)

>Please note, I'm not knocking RedHat here; they provide you with
>turn-key solutions. If those turn-key solutions aren't actually what
>you want, then it's sensible that you may have to go about things
>a different way.
<RANT>
They aren't sensible.  Although it may seem like a good idea to update a
kernel bit by bit, the end result is this horrible monstrosity with bits
and peices from lots of differerent kernel revisions making it impossible
to apply further patches with out a lot of trouble.

The SRPMs they distribute aren't bery helpful either, since they're really
messed up. (They rebuild the kernel 3 times 1 for 386, 1 for SMP and 1 for
686 (I think), and further more when I added the options for a parallel
make the rebuild broke...)
</RANT>

Austin K. Kurahone
Tokyo Linux Users Group
Remember: the UNIX philosophy is to NOT try to create the "GNU Emacs of drivers".  --Linus

Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691