tlug: Gnome Problems

  I mentioned this problem a long time ago, and no one seemed to have
anything much to say about it.  It just started happening again for
no apparent reason that I can think of, so I'll mention it again.

  I boot RH6.0 to a character login, login and then do 'startx' to
start up the GUI.  This last step normally takes 15 or 20 seconds to
complete.  But when this "problem" occurs, the GUI startup hangs for
30 seconds or so at several different stages, so that the whole
process takes 3 or 4 minutes, which, of course, seems like an eternity.

  Since this started again a couple of days ago, it seems to happen
sometimes and not happen other times, with no apparent rhyme or reason.
If I break out of the GUI screen, I see a number of identical warnings
on the character terminal like this:

 Gnome-UI-WARNING: While connecting to session manager
 Authentication Rejected, reason: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 authentication rejected.

  Another 'feature' of this glitch is that, although other items on
the menu seem to work fine, clicking on 'Log Off' has no effect at all,
and it's necessary to use the old Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.

  I'm not overly enamoured of the Gnome/Windoze BS interface
anyway, and this glitch is just enough to send me running back to fvwm,
which I liked very much and was never once a problem in the years I
used it.

  Hope someone has some thoughts on this, though.  I can't be the only
one suffering (very occasionally, I must admit) from this annoying
problem.

Dennis McMurchy,
Sointula, B.C. / Tojinmachi, Fukuoka
Canada           Japan

Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691