tlug: [report] gnome bof

I managed to make the Gnome bof today at MRI (Mitsubishi Soken) [nice
rooms they have there incidently], here are my impressions.  Questions
welcome.

First Niibe San introduced the meeting.  Then a young Japanese guy (a
developer at Kondera(?), a new Japanese distribution) demonstrated the
(old) Gnome from RH60 in a Japanese localization (l10n).  Then Havoc
Pennington (now working at Redhat Labs) gave his presentation
including demonstrating the latest Gnome (October Gnome).  I liked his
Magicpoint slides too (puts powerpoint to shame, though it's not a
gnome application).  He mentioned a number of new projects, a number
of which will become the Gnome office suite: of course gnumeric the
gnome spreadsheets (the devel version supports embeddable objects),
Dia a diagram making too, Abiword (not actually a Gnome effort, but
maybe it's compliant?).  Also nice to see Havoc using sawmill the X
window manager that I mentioned here recently: he seems it's the best
integrated wm with gnome: in particular the configuration tool is
integrated with the gnome control center.  There was a number of
questions, and after a break unrelated to gnome Morioka San explained
about the UTF-2000 project basically some multilingual unicode support
for XEmacs 21 (available at patches).

It was nice to meet Manuel Chakravarty (ETL) there and Steve Baur
was also present.

Cheers, Jens
Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691