Re: tlug: X black and white

Answering my own question: nothing changed.

I found out that this is a FAQ, question D-3 in the XFree86
FAQ list. The problem seems to be with how XFree handles the
24bpp images internally. Apparently it maps the pixels to
24 bits, while other X implementations map them to 32 bits
(the other machine I tested was running some commercial X server,
it wasn't XF86-3.3.2 after all).

More info at
   http://alley.fel.tno.nl/~kscp1/xfree_24bits.html

> I've installed RH6.1 in a machine that has a S3 Trio3D video card
> (supported by an alpha driver in the XFree86-3.3.5 SVGA server).
>
> Everything runs fine, except a program I wrote using the Xlib to
> draw a 24bpp pixmap in a window. Everything comes in black and
> white, while the same program display full colors when I redirect
> the window to a different machine running X (RH6.0 with XF86-3.3.2)
>
> Would anyone know what changed with RH6.1 and/or XF86-3.3.5 that
> is preventing my program from showing the colors correctly?
>
> BTW, I don't know if it is a related problem, but the buttons in
> Netscape are also shown in B&W.
TLUG Akihabara Tour: October 23 (Sat), 13:00 Shosen Book Tower 2F
Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691