tlug: Viewing japanese text: sometimes yes, sometimes no

    Stuart> characters, so when Japanese email comes in I click on
    Stuart> ``external viewer,'' which spawns leim-enabled emacs 20.4
    Stuart> with my message in it.  Sometimes this works but sometimes
    Stuart> I can't view the text at all. Here's an example of text I
    Stuart> can't read (i.e., it appears as dollar signs, punctuation,
    Stuart> letters and numbers):

Does emacs know that it's mail, or does it just read it as a file?  If
Emacs knows that it's mail, and is interpreting according to the MIME
headers, there's a good chance that either the headers are missing
(the Mule people at ETL all send mail like that! :-( ) or broken (eg,
here's what yours look like, that "us-ascii" is the killer, it should
be "iso-2022-jp"):

This guarantees that a MIME-compliant MUA (such as VM or Gnus) will
display the text as ASCII, with lots of dollar signs (hiragana),
percent signs (katakana) and other random printable ASCII characters.

But if it's going across as a file, the ESC $ B sequence should make
any Mule-enabled emacs (ie, Mule or any Emacs/XEmacs v20 or above)
automatically recognize the file as ISO-2022-JP.  I have no idea what
the problem might be in that case unless Asahi is putting some very
bizarre stuff in the preceding part of the message (headers or body).

Can you forward the _whole_ message (including all headers)?  Exactly
what is the command xfmail uses to start emacs?

Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:30   place: Temple Univ.
* Linux Internationalisation Initiative (Li18nux) speaker: Akio Kido
* Japanese TrueType Fonts                     speaker: Adrian Havill
Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai:  December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691