Omega (was Re: tlug: Japanese emails and jlatex under RedHat 6.1)

Jens-Ulrik Petersen writes:
 > Simon Cozens <simon@example.com> writes:
 >
 > > Omega is up and running, and Omega *rocks*. It's lovely, it's
 > > beautiful, it works extremely well - once you've got it properly
 > > installed, of course.
 >
 > <http://www.gutenberg.eu.org/omega/>
 >
 > Interesting.  Though I didn't seem any mention of Japanese support.

Well, according to the docs I've read, the developers explicitly
intend to support CJK, including vertical text, and I think furigana
also. And they have a scheme to develop complete (i.e., including all
the public characters) Unicode fonts. But they are mainly interested
in Greek/Arabic/Middle Eastern/North African languages, so my sense is
that it will be up to people who use East Asian languages and like
Omega to develop the necessary support files for it.

Matt Gushee
Portland, Maine, USA
mgushee@example.com
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:30   place: Temple Univ.
* Linux Internationalisation Initiative (Li18nux) speaker: Akio Kido
* Japanese TrueType Fonts                     speaker: Adrian Havill
Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai:  December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691