Re: tlug: Japanese emails and jlatex under RedHat 6.1

    juhp> As for LateX you probably need to uninstall the teTeX comes
    juhp> with RH60 :-( (unless you roll it yourself) and install
    juhp> instead pTeX and pLaTeX (produced by ASCII Corp).

Urkle.

Uh, Debian doesn't have a problem with this and has a working xdvi
for Japanese.  Look for an RPM of "alien", it may be able to translate
.debs to .rpms and then you may be able to install pTeX and pLaTeX
over teTeX.  Get the .debs from ftp.debian.org and/or ftp.debian.or.jp.

    juhp>   Of course
    juhp> it's generally better to build oneself, but I was lazy and I
    juhp> got rpms from a JRPM mirror.  I don't know if there is a
    juhp> mirror of the JRPM project in California...

I've found building TeX, especially Japanese TeXs, to be a massive
pita with no gyro inside.  I guess you should be OK building from the
source RPMs, but I wouldn't even bet on that.

I'll second Simon's recommendation of using CJK-TeX, although it's an
ugly hack. ;-)  I don't use it myself because AUC-TeX (a package for
writing TeX docs in Emacs) didn't use to like it much and I haven't
tried it recently; platex works fine for me.  pLaTeX is also quite a
bit smarter about using whatever Japanese encoding it runs into; I
believe that CJK-TeX demands EUC-JP.  That's probably not a problem
for most Japanese users though.

Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:30   place: Temple Univ.
* Linux Internationalisation Initiative (Li18nux) speaker: Akio Kido
* Japanese TrueType Fonts                     speaker: Adrian Havill
Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai:  December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691