Re: tlug: Getting Debian?

John Seebach wrote:-

> I ordered the 4 Debian CD's from one of the sellers of cheap CD's in the
> US, because I wasn't sure where to get them in Japan.  I think it was
> cheapbytes.com or something like that; probably any of those places are ok,
> although if you can, try to choose one that donates a percentage back to
> SPI/Debian from each CD purchased.

You can get Debian JP from Plathome 4th Floor in Akihabara, near the
Laox Computer Kan, and I'm sure that the non-JP versions are on those
6-CD combos from Infomagic.  They may even stock the English version
in its own box, but I'm not sure.  I started out with RH and
Turbolinux, but now I'm a Debian convert.

> When I was going to install Debian, someone on this list pointed out that
> all the packages that I'd need for this could be found on the CD's, and
> they were right on (well, nearly -- I'd recommend adding kinput2, which can
> be had for the downloading from the debian JP site. Note that you probably
> can skip this if you want to use Xemacs for all your textual needs). I
> think I may have downloaded another couple of packages from Debian JP, I
> can't remember which. Nothing that I've used much. It would certainly no
> more than a meg or two to download.

kinput2 definitely comes with Debian JP.  One thing I like about
Debian is that they're actively doing their best to have all the
Japanese / whatever language support in the main branch, and to
minimise and eventually eliminate the separate distribution.  I don't
recall this goal with TL or RH.

Neil.
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:30   place: Temple Univ.
* Linux Internationalisation Initiative (Li18nux) speaker: Akio Kido
* Japanese TrueType Fonts                     speaker: Adrian Havill
Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai:  December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691