tlug: Re: Programming Household Hardware

Going back to an old thread:

> I'd like to control power to household items such as lights, TV, VCR,
> from my console (or even a browser html form interface).

One of the answers was X10. More details in this article:

   "Home, smart home"
   http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-10/lw-10-mrhouse.html

             Linux + MisterHouse + Perl + X10 = home automation

   Summary
   An intruder is detected in the back yard by infrared sensors,
   setting off the automatic sprinklers -- or even dialing 911. Not
   that he'd have been able to get in anyway, as the house is
   protected by Java-based iButton keys.... In the 1960s, MI6 or
   U.N.C.L.E. might have paid millions for the things you can do today
   on your Linux box with MisterHouse -- without installing any new
   wiring. (2,500 words)
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:30   place: Temple Univ.
* Linux Internationalisation Initiative (Li18nux) speaker: Akio Kido
* Japanese TrueType Fonts                     speaker: Adrian Havill
Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai:  December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691