RE: tlug: MP3s revisited

    >> I suspect that using much lower bit rates will help a bit, but
    >> these are still going to be monstrously big.

    Stuart> I know you can stream mp3 files (Slashdot has a regular
    Stuart> online radio show using streaming mp3) but I don't know if
    Stuart> you need a special server. I use mpg123 to listen to the
    Stuart> streamed mp3 files. So, while downloading a 27 MB file
    Stuart> might not be practical, listening to a streamed file might
    Stuart> be.

Not at 10 yen/minute for the phone connection, it isn't.  My lectures
may be worth 7500 yen a shot, but I know my students will be unwilling
to pay that, they balk at buying textbooks.

And the intended victims use a motley crew of Windose and Muc boxes;
once they download, it's their problem.  Streaming I'd have to
support, which means researching the capabilities of software for
alien systems.

Shoutcast is an interesting idea though, for use over the LAN.

Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:30   place: Temple Univ.
* Linux Internationalisation Initiative (Li18nux) speaker: Akio Kido
* Japanese TrueType Fonts                     speaker: Adrian Havill
Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai:  December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691