tlug: MP3s revisited

Thanks to everybody who responded to my request for info on MD -> MP3.

I've downloaded several MP3 encoders; at random I built lame first
(latest beta v3.29; this is _not_ distributed as a patch, but as the
full source ;-)  I just unpacked it, did "make TERMCAP=-lncurses" and
it built automagically.  I'll probably try some of the others.

cdda2wav (Debian package) was useful for getting a source of test
samples, and xmms (Debian package; excessive use of GIMP IMHO, but
hey) for playing the MP3s.  wavplay (Debian package) did _not_
correctly handle the output of cdda2wav, but xwave (Debian package)
did.

Some stats:
Sample: "Are You Tough Enough", track 1, "Fabulous Thunderbirds"
Time: 201 sec.
.wav file info
  Pathname:       audio.wav
  Sampling Rate:  44100 Hz
  Mode:           Stereo
  Samples:        8887620
  Bits:           16
  File size:      35550524
.mp3 file size (with variable bit rate, min quality): 2567222
.mp3 file size (defaults):                            3224899

Rip and encode time (cdda2wav - | lame - tuff2.mp3): 127 seconds

That's a lot shorter than the 20 minutes somebody mentioned!

Estimated size of 75 min lecture file as .wav:  397953627 (308MB)
Estimated size of 75 min lecture file as .mp3:   28737560 (27MB)

Hmm.  I guess people aren't going to be downloading my lectures over
the phone lines ;-)

I suspect that using much lower bit rates will help a bit, but these
are still going to be monstrously big.

Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:30   place: Temple Univ.
* Linux Internationalisation Initiative (Li18nux) speaker: Akio Kido
* Japanese TrueType Fonts                     speaker: Adrian Havill
Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai:  December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691