Re: tlug: ISDN Access

J. Sean Bennett (sean@example.com) wrote:

> ...close, a good read, but no cigar;  by 'dual-homed', I mean two
> simultaneous connections to different providers/backbones - eg; one network
> with say both an OCN and  DDI connection; data would take the
> path-of-least-resistance for speed/uptime. - the IP addressing would
> probably be a nightmare/impossible though (though I don't know enough to be

This can be done, but maybe not with OCN and DDI.  In fact, this is done all
the time by people with multiple uplinks (ISPs, especially, tend to do that,
and anyone with a mission-critical network should do it as well).

To do this with OCN and DDI, I think you'd need to have both of those
routers in turn connected to a larger router which then routed packets
via the cheapest route.

However, you will not be able to aggregate this bandwidth, AFAIK; you
will just get two separate lines going to different places.  To
aggregate bandwidth, I believe both lines have to have the same start
and end points.  For example, we have one leased line where there are
Cisco 2610s on both ends and two 128K lines in between, and these
lines are aggregated to provide 256K of bandwidth at a significant
savings over a 256K fiberoptic line.

Jonathan Byrne                                 Engineering Division
Global Online Japan                            http://www.gol.com/
Tel:  +81 3-5334-1700   Fax: +81 3-5334-1701   Direct: +81 3-5334-1756

Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:30   place: Temple Univ.
* Linux Internationalisation Initiative (Li18nux) speaker: Akio Kido
* Japanese TrueType Fonts                     speaker: Adrian Havill
Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai:  December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691