Re: tlug: ISDN Access

The problem isn't that you live in Urawa.  The problem is that you get
to share that OCN line with up to 20 other customers, so your bandwidth
may be quite limited.  Being out in Urawa may help, insofar as the line
may be less crowded than if you were in central Tokyo.  OCN lines are
better for email or for low-volume web sites than they are for web surfing
or downloading.  If you know anybody who has one, I do recommend trying
it out before signing anything.

I have encountered situations where web sites on OCN lines were just
unavailable because the line was too busy to get through (this was
a server located in more or less central Tokyo).

Jonathan Byrne                                 Engineering Division
Global Online Japan                            http://www.gol.com/
Tel:  +81 3-5334-1700   Fax: +81 3-5334-1701   Direct: +81 3-5334-1756

Jack Morgan (yojack@example.com) wrote:

> How can I get ISDN 128k or better internet access?
> What modems and/or hardware are good of ISDN?
>
> I was looking at getting a dedicated line from NTT's OCN, which costs about
> \40,000 VS dialing up to an ISP with Telehodai, which costs \8,000 per
> month. (With OCN I can have 24hour access, with Telehodai I would have
> access from 11pm to 8am)
>
> One problem is that I live in Urawa, Saitama?
> Thanks
> Jack Morgan

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** Linux 8th Birthday Anniversary! ***
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.
*** Topics: 1) Linux i18n   2) Japanese TrueType fonts