Re: tlug: forwarded message from MAILER-DAEMON@example.com

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 12:04:40PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Boot Windows.  Dial up provider.  Go to ftp.debian.or.jp.
>
> 1.  cd to /debian/dists/stable/main/disks-i386/
>
> 2.  download resc1440.bin, root.bin, linux, base2_1.tgz, drivers.bin,
>     and loadlin.exe into some directory, say C:\LOADLIN
>
> 3.  C:\LOADLIN> LOADLIN linux /dev/ram rw initrd=root.bin

Well, the good news is that this works beautifully. For future reference,
if any of you folks find yourself in a similar, floppy-less situation, the
command line should actually be:

C:\LOADLIN> LOADLIN linux /dev/ram0 rw initrd=root.bin root=/dev/ram0

(if you don't specifically tell it to use the ramdisk as root, it tries to
load the C: drive as root. Nothing happens.)

I actually started the debian installation program, then realized that I
needed some extra disk space. Which leads me to the bad news:

You only really get one chance with this unless you already have multiple
partitions or you can get fips to work so you can make them (I couldn't).
Anyway, to make a long story short, I got a little happy with "del" and
apparently deleted what I thought was a *copy* I'd made of the kernel image
after removing the software I'd need to connect to the internet from
Windows. Sawing off the limb I was standing on. Imagine doing *that*
without losing your cool. Accidental deletions seems to be a theme for this
week, i think I need to make sure not to log in as root anywhere for at
least a month or so.

Guess it's time to go back to searching for that cable...
Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** Linux 8th Birthday Anniversary! ***
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.
*** Topics: 1) Linux i18n   2) Japanese TrueType fonts