tlug: Re: tlug-digest V1 #1282

> From: Christopher Sekiya <wileyc@example.com>
> > The cards are Corega Ether II PCC-T cards.
>
> They are cheap ne2000 clones.
>
> > Or that they do work but they're complete pieces of crap?
>
> They work.  As with all ne2000 clones, they're also complete pieces of
> crap.

One of the cheapest ethernet cards in Akihabara.
Wonder why you call them crap - will it have a short life or
not perform well? I have one of these up and running with TL4.0 Chinese.
It works well but just a bit of tweaking is needed to get the system to
recognize it.

IP masquerading is up and running at my place, with a Mac
now able to browse, ftp, etc., through the Linux box's
ppp connection. Today, I'm very happy that I took the Linux
plunge.

couple of questions:

1) does irqtune really improve performance very much?
I have these two computers pulling on the Internet
through a 28.8 ppp connection; noticeably slow when
one of the computers is downloading a file or using
realaudio.
irqtune complained that modutils were old when I
tried to use it. Is it worth replacing the modutils
and will such a move screw up something else if I'm
not lucky?

2) I'm getting "rpc - sendmsg error 101" occasionally.
will this rear up and bite me if I ignore it? :)

3) any online documents that will help me get the
mac user set up to send/receive email through ip masquerading?
I haven't seen much on this in the ip masquerade - related
materials. Perhaps it's so easy it doesn't merit
documentation (I hope)?

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** Linux 8th Birthday Anniversary! ***
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.
*** Topics: 1) Linux i18n   2) Japanese TrueType fonts