Re: tlug: Time

On a similar point (Perhaps the same), every time I have installed RH 6.0, I
 come up with system clock errors in the Xserver etc.

I dont have any more info re the errors, I have had to reinstall again. A bu
g prehaps?

Sam

At 17:22 99/09/07 +0900, Frank Bennett (フランクべネット ) wrote:
> We just installed a new Linux OS (Redhat 6.0 for Sparc) on one of our
> mailservers here.  In the course of tying bits of the new system into the
> surrounding network, I have run into a weird problem.  There is a timed
> daemon on the new system, which I hooked up for service in
> /etc/inetd.conf.  Sure enough, I now get a time back from this machine
> when I rdate against it from the other servers (running TL 3.0 at
> present).  But it isn't a time that I myself have ever set on a watch that
> I owned (because I didn't exist yet):
>
>   [root@example.com /root]# rdate 133.6.33.1
>   [133.6.33.1]    Mon Apr 28 01:25:08 1952
>
> An error I would understand, but this is just bizzare.  Did someone change
> the protocol, or modify the source to the timed daemon in the past year or
> so?
>
> My first thought was to drop timed and rdate and shift to 100% ntp for
> timekeeping; we use ntpdate to set our central server, and once set up it
> seems to have been rock solid.  But I seem to remember that configuring
> the xntp timeserver looked like a huge job, so I've shied away.
>
> Suggestions, anyone?
>
> Cheers,
> --
> -x80
> Frank G Bennett, Jr         @@
> Faculty of Law, Nagoya Univ () email: bennett@example.com
> Tel: +81[(0)52]789-2239     () WWW:   http://rumple.soas.ac.uk/~bennett/

> Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.
> more info: http://www.tlug.gr.jp        Sponsor: Global Online Japan

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** Linux 8th Birthday Anniversary! ***
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.
*** Topics: 1) Linux i18n   2) Japanese TrueType fonts