Re: tlug: Redhat 6 and Japanese.

David Walter <David.Walter@example.com> writes:

> Without meaning to open a can of worms, I am still open to other
> distributions besides RH6 at this point. What do you recommend instead
> of RH6? Vine and Turbolinux seem to be RH-based so that rules them out,
> although they have built in  (limited) Japanese support. I started with
> Slakware, but I haven't heard anybody say anything good about slakware
> recently, although version 4 has been out for a little while. Is there
> anyone out there using Plamo Linux and who can recommend it?

JRPM60 packages have mostly worked well enough for me so far.

> > XEmacs RPMs typically fail on Red Hat because they are always
> > changing their libc.  GNU Emacs is tracked a little better, but
> > suffers from the same Achilles heel (the executable is loaded with
> > data and then "dumped", which means that the data structures are
> > quickly loaded from disk byte for byte instead of computed slowly
> > at runtime; if the structures change, and in glibc they do fairly
> > often, SIGSEGV or SIGBUS is the least you should expect; then, of
> > course, the Red Hat developers add glitches of their own).

But in this case the particular rpms in question were made by the JRPM
project for RH6.0, so I don't know why they sigsegv.

> By the way, what is [a] "lisp" and also what does "SUMO" stand for?

Lisp is a nice programming language that is the extension language of
Emacs/XEmacs.  The Sumo package of XEmacs packages is so called
because it's so big and full of all the XEmacs packages.

Jens
Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** Linux 8th Birthday Anniversary! ***
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.
*** Topics: 1) Linux i18n   2) Japanese TrueType fonts