Re: tlug: Redhat 6 and Japanese.

    David> Japanese, and/or what can I do to get Xemacs to come up
    David> successfully?  Any help at this point would be greatly
    David> appreciated!

Sigh.  Avoid Red Hat would be a start.  They are definitely on track
to becoming the Microsoft of Linux, on the flash vs. robustness[1]
axes if not in size.  XEmacs RPMs typically fail on Red Hat because
they are always changing their libc.  GNU Emacs is tracked a little
better, but suffers from the same Achilles heel (the executable is
loaded with data and then "dumped", which means that the data
structures are quickly loaded from disk byte for byte instead of
computed slowly at runtime; if the structures change, and in glibc
they do fairly often, SIGSEGV or SIGBUS is the least you should
expect; then, of course, the Red Hat developers add glitches of their
own).

XEmacs should build pretty well automatically, either from RPM or from
the FTP distribution.  To build from FTP
(ftp://ftp.xemacs.org/xemacs-21.1/ IIRC, current is 21.1.6 unless
21.1.7 was released last night) you will need the source distribution
tarball, the SUMO Lisp package tarball, and the Mule Lisp add-ons.

You should untar the source, read README.Packages, figure out where
your lisp is going to be installed, put the packages there, and then
build and install XEmacs.  (Somewhat more complicated than you'd like
it to be, but we working on that.)

The alternative would be to hope that GNU Emacs works.  You need the
Mule version (probably that's the one supplied, but it might not be).
Then there probably (I don't use GNU Emacs) is a Mule menu, enable
multibyte buffers/characters there, and select your Japanese
environment from the same menu.  You'll be limited to Quail and maybe
XIM (kinput2 + canna or wnn) for Japanese input (the latter is not
officially supported by GNU AFAIK and you could run SIGSEGV because of
bugs in Xlib, I dunno if the GNU guys have worked around those or
not).

Good luck.

Footnotes:
[1]  I wish they would remember that, in the immortal words of Dennis
Ritchie, "Unix is at bottom a big fast I/O multiplexor."  BLTJ '73.

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** Linux 8th Birthday Anniversary! ***
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.
*** Topics: 1) Linux i18n   2) Japanese TrueType fonts