tlug: Linux multimedia (MD, DV and G2)

Stephen T.> How about digital transfer (most MD players can do that)
Stephen T.> to a sound card or so?

The SoundBlaster Live! PRO has the optical input/output for digital
connection with a MD player, but I don't know if Creative Labs' Linux
driver supports it.

Stephen T.>  On a slightly different topic, does anybody know if there are any
Stephen T.>  video editing cards that handle digital output from DV cameras?

Firewire/iLink/IEEE 1394 cards. Adaptec manufatures the AHA-8940
that is sold in Japan as an accessory for some DV camera (forgot which
one; Canon?). http://www.adaptec.com/products/solutions/1394.html

Miro DV300 is a package bundling the same Adaptec board with some
software for Windows. http://www.miro.com

Texas also manufactures FireWire chipsets (Lynx and OHCI). The OHCI
seems the be the one used in the Pyro 1394. http://www.adstech.com

These are all supported by Linux, but (quoting the Linux-Firewire FAQ)
http://eclipt.uni-klu.ac.at/ieee1394/

   "As of August 1999, the infrastructure is there, the applications
    are not yet."

Jens> ....and in my experience increasingly you need to have the latest
Jens>  version of rvplayer (version G2 I think) to be able to play
Jens>  realaudio/video content.  But they haven't released a rvplayer-G2 for
Jens>  Linux. :-(  Correct me if I'm wrong.

RealPlayer G2 alpha for Linux
http://www.real.com/products/player/linux.html

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.