tlug: Audio ripping/MP3

There were some comments a while back about audio ripping and MP3s.

I'm recording my lectures on MD, and would like to move those to MP3
and store them in that format on CD.

(1) Are there PC front-panel format MD drives?  If not, I suppose I
have to go through the external audio-in to the sound card.  It would
be cool if you could rip the MD drive.  How about digital transfer
(most MD players can do that) to a sound card or so?  (I guess it
would be too much to hope that MD digital output is a compliant
version of the IEEE 1394 "Firewire" standard, huh.)

(2) How much compression does MP3 give for music track purposes?
Would it be possible to turn up the compression -- obviously sound
quality is not of all that great importance -- for my purpose?

(3) Software recommendations?

On a slightly different topic, does anybody know if there are any
video editing cards that handle digital output from DV cameras?

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.