Re: tlug: Encoding troubles

On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 07:30:20PM +0900, Adrian D. Havill wrote:
> Actually, Windows clients talk to SMB servers in Unicode. Samba clients
> should translate from the local character set to Unicode and back. This
> translation may not be getting done if you don't explicitly set it.

Where do I set it? On the client?

> Are you setting the charset/encoding on the Samba stuff?

Hmmm, I have

client codepage = 932
codingsystem = SJIS

and Samba *definitely* creates SJIS filenames (when creating a file from
a Japanese Win95 client). "echo *" on a kterm in SJIS mode shows the
correct filenames.

Are you saying the options above cause Samba to translate between Unicode
(network) and SJIS (local filesystem)? I can't believe this....

-Klaus
Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.