tlug: my wm...

"Manuel M. T. Chakravarty" <chak@example.com> writes:

> "Petersen Jens-Ulrik (NRC/Tokyo)" <jens-ulrik.petersen@example.com> wrote,
>
> > Yes.  That's one of the reasons I stopped using Enlightenment (the
> > default wm with Redhat60 (under Gnome)).  I really liked Enlightenment
> > visually, but (some E fanantics will probably correct me wrong) I
> > found it hard to edit the E config files (actually session files) by
> > hand since they seem to be really machine orientated: full of number
> > codes, etc.  Yuck.  [I'm now back to using SCWM (fully configurable by
> > Guile) under Gnome: it's a pity that scwm development seems to have
> > ground to a halt as far as I know.]
>
> Try WindowMaker
>
>   http://www.windowmaker.org/
>
> It looks good, has good support for configuring via text
> files and via a GUI application, is actively worked on, and
> is integrated with Gnome.
>
> Manuel

Hi Manuel,

Yes, I know of Windowmaker -- though haven't really used it that
much.  It seem to be ok.

Me, I'm more into extensible wm's (ie in the sense that that have a
proper programming language built into them so that you can configure
them in any way you like: just as Emacs is a fully extensible editor).
So far in this category, I have used GWM (the Generic Window Manager,
extensible in Wool Lisp), SCWM (Scheme Configurable WM, extensible in
Guile Scheme) and toyed a bit with GWML (the Generic Wm in ML,
extensible in CAML, a strongly typed functional language).  I like
SCWM a lot.  It would take me a lot to move to something else.
If/when GWML matures or something better appears I will probably move
on.

Jens

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.