Re: tlug: the pros and cons of under-reconfiguring your kernel

"Petersen Jens-Ulrik (NRC/Tokyo)" <jens-ulrik.petersen@example.com> wrote,

> "Manuel M. T. Chakravarty" <chak@example.com> writes:
>
> > Jonathan Byrne <jq@example.com> wrote,
> >
> > > [...]ease of use without restricting those with the ability to do
> > > so from manually editing the configuration if they feel like it.
> >
> > I definitely agree with you that it is superimportant that
> > it is possible to get around all GUI sugar coating and edit
> > the config files manually.  When you are knowing what you
> > are doing, this is always the fastest way of doing things
> > (and over a slow modem connection often the only way).
>
> Yes.  That's one of the reasons I stopped using Enlightenment (the
> default wm with Redhat60 (under Gnome)).  I really liked Enlightenment
> visually, but (some E fanantics will probably correct me wrong) I
> found it hard to edit the E config files (actually session files) by
> hand since they seem to be really machine orientated: full of number
> codes, etc.  Yuck.  [I'm now back to using SCWM (fully configurable by
> Guile) under Gnome: it's a pity that scwm development seems to have
> ground to a halt as far as I know.]

Try WindowMaker

  http://www.windowmaker.org/

It looks good, has good support for configuring via text
files and via a GUI application, is actively worked on, and
is integrated with Gnome.

Manuel
Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.