Re: tlug: mail weirdness [the mutt way]

>     kyoomu> Mon Aug 30, 1999 at 03:28:35PM +0900 において
>     kyoomu> John Seebach さん曰く:
>
>     >> All of my mailheaders now contain the following incorrect
>     >> information: from: john seebach <jseebach@example.com>
>
> Hmmm ... are you really sure it isn't worth learning to use XEmacs and
> sacrificing 18MB of VM on the altar (EMACS = Eighteen Megabytes And
> Constantly Swapping)?  Mutt-jp has an awful lot of bugs it would seem;
> if you're going to have that many bugs, why not have the power to go
> with them :-/

I thought it was "Escape-Meta-Alt-Control-Shift." I've tried emacs several
times on and off over the last few years. And I can't get past the fact
that it makes my hands ache.  :)  Well, that and I'd hate to give up vim.

Plus, after a little research, I'm pretty sure that this is not entirely
mutt's fault but rather a fault of the way that I have my mail set up.

regarding sendmail -f user@example.com

> This is probably not a good way to fix this.  For one thing, it only
> works if the local installation uses something aliased to
> "/usr/sbin/sendmail" for the MTA.  Second, if you decide to send mail
> "From: " somebody else (the correct way to allow somebody else to use
> your account to send mail is to have them set up a "From: " header
> with their own address there; the MTA = sendmail then should add a
> "Sender: " header), there will very likely be multiple "-f " arguments
> on the sendmail command line and I rather suspect that the behavior in
> that case is undefined.

Good or not, it didn't work for me. And, like you said, looking over my
headers,  my mail looked like spam. Incidentally, I have a great business
opportunity for all of you.  Just send me money.

> I suspect that some miscreant has added an override somewhere in the
> global mutt config.  Most mailers support a ~/.${MUA}rc and an
> /etc/${MUA}rc (which latter may live in /etc/, /etc/${MUA}/,
> /usr/lib/${MUA}, /var/lib/${MUA}, or somewhere else.  Sometimes there
> are even more....

That was my first guess, actually, but I think it was the wrong one. The
system config file is /etc/Muttrc, I believe.  And it's not in there. Nor
is it in any of the files in the package (I took it apart and searched
through with grep --recursive because I don't have zsh installed). Then,
just for kicks, I proceeded to grep through /usr, /var, /lib, and /etc. The
only matches were (yappari) the ones in my mail headers sitting in
/var/spool/mail.

But that's where I found this:

Aha. Years ago, I signed up for one of those free lifetime e-mail addresses at
iname.com. Basically, it's a forwarding service. All of my outgoing mail
goes through mail.iname.com. A quick "traceroute mail.iname.com" reveals
the following final destination:

[cut...]
13  188.ATM8-0-0.GW2.NYC4.ALTER.NET (146.188.178.129)  409.864 ms  529.439 ms  439.921 ms
14  globecomm-gw.customer.ALTER.NET (157.130.5.162)  409.779 ms !A  439.758 ms !A *

So, it would appear that I *AM* jseebach@example.com -- I just didn't
know that I was until today. I'm still not exactly sure where it is that
mutt is getting this information to add too my headers, but it apparently
is. Short of ditching the forwarding service and changing my e-mail address
or choosing a new email client, I'm not exactly sure what else to try. Any
suggestions?

Much thanks for the help.

john seebach
jseebach@example.com (or so I thought)
Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.