Re: tlug: mail weirdness [the mutt way]

>>>>> "kyoomu" == B  <B5uL5> writes:

Well, actually, Mutt writes on Kyomu's behalf

    kyoomu> From: 虚無 <kyomu@example.com>
    kyoomu> Mime-Version: 1.0
    kyoomu> Content-Type: multipart/signed; boundary="W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA"; micalg=pgp-md5;
    kyoomu> 	protocol="application/pgp-signature"
    kyoomu> X-Mailer: Mutt 0.95.4i-jp2

OH, MY ACHING HEAD!  Raw JIS does not belong in mail headers.  This is
not MIME-compliant, and probably isn't even RFC-822-compliant.  It
certainly is not in the spirit of RFC-822.  Somebody (who cares; see
my X-Mailer header for why I don't) should tell the Mutt and Mutt-jp
people about this pronto; this is NOT user responsibility, it's Mutt's
fault.

See the X-The-Right-Way: header in this message for how to do it
correctly, so that your Mutt will not send broken mail.  On second
thought, Mutt may or may not munge that header....

    kyoomu> Mon Aug 30, 1999 at 03:28:35PM +0900 において
    kyoomu> John Seebach さん曰く:

    >> All of my mailheaders now contain the following incorrect
    >> information: from: john seebach <jseebach@example.com>

Hmmm ... are you really sure it isn't worth learning to use XEmacs and
sacrificing 18MB of VM on the altar (EMACS = Eighteen Megabytes And
Constantly Swapping)?  Mutt-jp has an awful lot of bugs it would seem;
if you're going to have that many bugs, why not have the power to go
with them :-/

    kyoomu> after digging through some of the docs/archives/ around
    kyoomu> www.mutt.org i found this line which helped.

    kyoomu> 		set sendmail="/usr/sbin/sendmail -oem -oi \
    kyoomu>                                  -f<username>@<host>"

This is probably not a good way to fix this.  For one thing, it only
works if the local installation uses something aliased to
"/usr/sbin/sendmail" for the MTA.  Second, if you decide to send mail
"From: " somebody else (the correct way to allow somebody else to use
your account to send mail is to have them set up a "From: " header
with their own address there; the MTA = sendmail then should add a
"Sender: " header), there will very likely be multiple "-f " arguments
on the sendmail command line and I rather suspect that the behavior in
that case is undefined.

    John> On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 03:54:02PM +0900, ?$B5uL5?(B wrote:
    >> John Seebach さん曰く:
    >>
    >> i had what i think is/was a simialr problem.  and it only
    >> occured w/ mutt.  first i tried tweeking w/ the *hostname*
    >> variable in the muttrc.
    >>
    >> set hostname=*****.***
    >>
    >> which didnt seem to work.

    John> Yep. That was frustrating, because that seemed like it would
    John> be the most obvious thing.

I suspect that some miscreant has added an override somewhere in the
global mutt config.  Most mailers support a ~/.${MUA}rc and an
/etc/${MUA}rc (which latter may live in /etc/, /etc/${MUA}/,
/usr/lib/${MUA}, /var/lib/${MUA}, or somewhere else.  Sometimes there
are even more....

If you are using a package system, get a list of all files in the
package.  If you built it from scratch, do

zsh -c 'fgrep -i globecomm ${TOP_OF_MUTT_SRC}/**/*' | less

(bash doesn't understand the `**' glob AFAIK, so you pass it to zsh to
get a recursive grep).

    John> my_hdr From: <username>@<hostname>

    John> seems to do the trick. It doesn't actually *fix* the
    John> problem, mind you. It just kind of hides it. My headers
    John> still show the incorrect address under "Sender"

Strict spam-control checks will flag your headers as forged; the
"Sender" header ("From" header if no "Sender" header; there is also
provision for "Resent-" versions) should be consistent with the
earliest "Received" header.