Re: tlug: mail weirdness [the mutt way]

On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 03:54:02PM +0900, ?$B5uL5?(B wrote:
> John Seebach さん曰く:
>
> 	i had what i think is/was a simialr problem.
> 	and it only occured w/ mutt.
> 	first i tried tweeking w/ the *hostname*
> 	variable in the muttrc.
>
> 		set hostname=*****.***
>
> 	which didnt seem to work.

Yep. That was frustrating, because that seemed like it would be the most
obvious thing.

> 	after digging through some of the docs/archives/ around www.mutt.org i
> 	found this line which helped.
>
> 		set sendmail="/usr/sbin/sendmail -oem -oi -f<username>@<host>"
>
> 	i put it in my .muttrc and all was fine (the from: problem that is)
> 	not sure if this will help, but you can try it.

Thanks for the prompt response / suggestion. I tried this, and it didn't
change a thing. Perhaps exim doesn't support the -f option. I'm going to
wade through the docs again to see what I can find.

> 	there are of course much better ways to deal with this problem but i
> 	am not clever enough to fig. them out.

Me, neither. If nothing else, I know how you feel. After I sent my first
mail, I managed to (sort of) fix the problem by slashing around a bit. Mutt
lets you set your own header information. Which can be fun if you're into
creating utterly useless headers (I, sadly, am that sort of person when
it's too hot to go outside like it is now). You can also use it to fix this
problem, apparently:

my_hdr From: <username>@<hostname>

seems to do the trick. It doesn't actually *fix* the problem, mind you. It
just kind of hides it. My headers still show the incorrect address under
"Sender" So I guess I can live with it, but I don't like it.  You know: if
I was fixing an airplane, I'd probably want to know *why* the instruments
said that I was flying 300 meters higher than I actually was, instead of
just bending the needle so that everything looked like it was ok. ;-)

> 	as always i will post this in case this is utterly stupid...
> 	and i will try to find the actual posts explaining this and
> 	mail those to you if you want...

Didn't seem stupid to me. I wouldn't mind taking a look at those posts,
though. Maybe I can figure out why my mail headers are having an identity
crisis. Thanks for your help.

john
Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.