Re: tlug: the pros and cons of under-reconfiguring your kernel

Manuel M. T. Chakravarty (chak@example.com) wrote:

> Jonathan Q <jq@example.com> wrote,
>
> [...]
> > In fact, I will state as a reformed former user of Some Other
> > Operating System, that while still a bit rough around the edges, Gnome
> > is not as good as That Other Operating System's GUI - it's better.
>
> That's interesting.  As I am using That Other Operating
> System only for the occasional game or to get at hardware
> details before replacing it with Our Favourite Operating
> System, I would be very interested to hear what you think
> are the features that make Gnome better.

I think the Gnome Control Center is a better configuration editor than
it's equivalents in the Windows Control Panel, and it has a better tool
bar than the one in Windows 95.  When Win 95 came out, it had a terrific
GUI, the best around at that time.  However, it hasn't really gained much
in the years since.  In fact, having seen and occassionally used Win 98,
I find it's GUI doesn't measure up very well against Win 95.  More flash,
but no more substance.

The creators of Gnome and KDE, on the other hand, were starting with an
essentially clean slate.  They could look at everything that had been done
before, take what they liked, leave what they didn't.  While I would
agree that both still have some maturing to do, they are nevertheless
quite nice products which deliver their ease of use without restricting
those with the ability to do so from manually editing the configuration
if they feel like it.

How do you think they stack up?

Jonathan Q                                 Engineering Division
Global Online Japan                            http://www.gol.com/
Tel:  +81 3-5334-1700   Fax: +81 3-5334-1701   Direct: +81 3-5334-1756