tlug: Re: RELAY

Manuel,

Thank you for your advice; that probably
will be of much use to some people.
Well, it looked promising but didn't
do the trick for me. I tried it by using
the file /etc/mail/relay-domains that my
sendmail.cf pointed to but also
/etc/mail/access .  I alternately
put "gol.com    RELAY"
and "mail.gol.com    RELAY"
in the file.

Here are the relevant lines from sendmail.cf

##################
#   local info   #
##################

Cw localhost
# file containing names of hosts for which we receive email
Fw/etc/mail/sendmail.cw

# my official domain name
# ... define this only if sendmail cannot automatically determine your domain
#Dj$w.Foo.COM

Dj$gol.com

CP.

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DSmail.gol.com

# operators that cannot be in local usernames (i.e., network indicators)
CO @ % !

# a class with just dot (for identifying canonical names)
C..

# a class with just a left bracket (for identifying domain literals)
C[[

# Resolve map (to check if a host exists in check_mail)
Kresolve host -a<OK> -T<TEMP>

# Hosts that will permit relaying ($=R)
FR-o /etc/mail/relay-domains

# who I send unqualified names to (null means deliver locally)
DR

# who gets all local email traffic ($R has precedence for unqualified names)
DH

# dequoting map
Kdequote dequote

# class E: names that should be exposed as from this host, even if we masquerade
# class L: names that should be delivered locally, even if we have a relay
# class M: domains that should be converted to $M
#CL root
CE root

# who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading) (see also $=M)
DMgol.com

# my name for error messages
DnMAILER-DAEMON

# location of alias file
O AliasFile=/etc/mail/aliases

# default delivery mode
O DeliveryMode=background

# status file
O StatusFile=/etc/sendmail.st

#####################
#   Trusted users   #
#####################

# this is equivalent to setting class "t"
Ft/etc/sendmail.ct
Troot
Tdaemon
Tuucp

# handle case of no @example.com on address
R<?> $*                 $: < ? $&{client_name} > $1
R<?> $*                 $@ <OK>                         ...local unqualed ok
R<? $+> $*              $#error $@ 5.5.4 $: "553 Domain name required"
                                                        ...remote is not
# check results
R<OK> $*                $@ <OK>
R<TEMP> $*              $#error $@ 4.1.8 $: "451 Sender domain must resolve"
R<PERM> $*              $#error $@ 5.1.8 $: "501 Sender domain must exist"

By the way, I am occasionally getting a 553 error on incoming mail which
gets flushed but doesn't appear in my mail reader. I'm hoping that this
is how the system is dealing with certain types of obvious spam messages...
wishful thinking?

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.